We are only too aware of the musical benefits that good quality piano lessons can bring. However, there's a lot more to playing the piano than it might first appear. The research into the power of music is quite extensive and rigorous.
Please do help us in our fund-raising efforts to pass on these substantial benefits.
Music* reshapes the brain
Music can help with phonics
- Learning to read notation may have direct transfer effects to reading text as many of the underlying principles are the same
- There is lots of evidence that musical training provides individuals with better overall aural memory
- There is strong evidence that making music has an impact on spatial reasoning
- Rhythm and movement seem to be particularly important for us as a species
2. Musical training matters.
- In research studies children who learnt an instrument made better progress in school, no matter the level they started from
- Start young!
- The longer the training the bigger the impact
3. Music has a direct link to our emotions
- Music can improve our mood – how many pupils come into lessons with a frown and go out with a smile?
- Music can reduce anger
- Singing and playing with others gives a sense of belonging
4. Music improves self belief
- The opportunity to perform with positive and constructive feedback can be highly motivating (performance can cover a variety of contexts including informal and more formal settings